Your telehealth appointment will be provided on a platform that is consistent with Canadian Privacy legislation however there are risks associated with the use of on-line platforms.
- Risks of using electronic communication
While the Service Provider will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of information sent and received using electronic communications, because of the risks outlined below, the Service Provider cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of electronic communications:
- Use of electronic communications to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties.
- Despite reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and security of electronic communication, it is not possible to completely secure the information.
- Employers and online services may have a legal right to inspect and keep electronic communications that pass through their system.
- Electronic communications can introduce malware into a computer system, and potentially damage or disrupt the computer, networks, and security settings.
- Electronic communications are subject to disruptions beyond the control of the Service Provider that may prevent the Service Provider from being able to provide services
- Electronic communications may be disclosed in accordance with a duty to report or a court order.
- Videoconferencing using no cost, publicly available services may be more open to interception than other forms of videoconferencing.
- There may be limitations in the services that can be provided through electronic communications, dependent on the means of electronic communications being utilized
- Conditions of Using Electronic Communications
- Electronic communication may not be an appropriate substitute for some services that the Service Provider offers.
- Electronic communications that include the participants are not recorded, as such this data is not saved after the electronic communications is terminated
- The Service Provider is not responsible for information loss due to technical failures associated with your software or internet service provider.
- The patient will take precautions to preserve the confidentiality of electronic communications, such as using screen savers and safeguarding computer passwords.
- If the patient no longer consents to the use of electronic communications by the Service Provider, then the Patient will provide notice of the withdrawal of consent by email or other written communication.
Updated June 29, 2023